April has shown me that editing is a tedious, tedious process.
Overall, I didn't run into a ridiculous amount of roadblocks and definitely learned more than I have during any other step of the long process of creating a short film. The first issue I ran into was missing footage. After importing footage into final cut pro I deleted it off of my memory card to make more space, which would have been fine, if I had backed it up on my external hard drive. Sadly, this was a step I neglected to take. One entire day of filming had been lost in my computer and this called for a re-shoot day. Luckily a re-shoot was possible due to my awesome main actors, but they were a little rusty on the characters by this point after such a long break since filming was completed.
Secondly, as I was editing I realized that the restrictions of shot variation caused by the use of a green screen was less than ideal. The short film was lacking in movement and blocking. My teacher Mr. Goble helped me create movement by showing me the handheld filter that made the plane look in motion as well as key-framing which helped me create the illusion of panning camerawork.
Thirdly, the use of up to four layers at a time create an issue moving from shot to shot. If they are just a tenth of a millisecond off from each other there is a split second where the movie looks a little... odd. This is something that in the final nit-picky editing stage I am still struggling with.
Something that I was very happy with over this month was the ability to use sounds, CG, and filters to take a few kids in front of a green screen and transform them into pilots attempting to save a plane from destruction. My favorite part of the movie is the ending. I love the way the shots fade into each other, the sound selection for effects and music, and the dramatic mood it carries out the film with.
Overall I loved the process of editing and can't wait to unveil my film next month!